Saturday, October 13, 2012


WEEKLY SUMMARY (October 7-13): 40 miles (60% at E and 40% at M paces)
  Sunday: 1 mile warm up, then metric marathon race (see below)
  Monday: off
  Tuesday: 4 miles at 8:05/mi.
  Wednesday: 6 miles at 7:51/mi.
  Thursday: 6 miles at 7:45/mi.
  Friday: off
  Saturday: 7 miles at 7:46/mi.

This week was, as planned, very easy after the marathon-pace tune-up on Sunday. I was pretty sore afterwards and couldn't motivate myself to get out and run in the (relative) cold the next day. I was surprised by how tired and weak I was two days later. By Wednesday I started feeling marginally better, but on Thursday I felt weak again and realized that I was fighting off a cold. So I took Friday off and tried to get as much sleep as possible. I feel ok on Saturday but am still fighting off the cold. My plan for next week depends on how much of a grip this cold gets on me. I'd like to run about 60 miles, with a light tempo workout on Monday and a medium one (my last significant workout of any kind before the marathon) on Thursday. I need to push myself at least some to feel sharp before backing off again the following week. But my first priority right now is making sure that I don't end up with a prolonged cold. So I'm prepared to postpone or modify those workouts, and to lower the overall volume for the week, if necessary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment