Sunday, March 18, 2012

Week of March 12-18: 55 miles in 7 days
  Monday: 7 miles with stroller at 7:58/mi.
  Tuesday: 10.7 miles at 7:19/mi.
  Wednesday: 5 miles at 7:33/mi.
  Thursday: repetition workout on the track (see below)
  Friday: 7 miles with stroller at 8:13/mi.
  Saturday: 8.2 miles at 7:30/mi.
  Sunday: 2 easy, 5 mile tempo run at 6:38/mi., 2 easy

I skipped the RnR USA half-marathon on Saturday for the reasons I mentioned in my previous post. Instead this week continued my pattern established last week of ok hard runs about every third day with recovery for the two days in between. But I took an extra day to recover from the 8k race the previous Sunday, in part because my Tuesday run was not quite easy, and it was 80 degrees. My track workout on Thursday was a ladder: 4x200(200), 2x400(400), 1x800(800), 2x400(400), 4x200(200), all at Daniels' VDOT 55 pace, which is about 5:24/mile. I didn't feel great, perhaps in part because it was 80 degrees again and I'm not used to either the heat or the Spring allergens yet. I was still a bit sore after the easy runs over the next two days but went ahead with my tempo run on Sunday anyway. It went fine, but my left lower leg and foot have been hurting ever since. So I'll take tomorrow off and then play things by ear this coming week, which I had intended anyway to be at around 75% of my usual weekly mileage these days. I'd like to get in one last repetition workout midweek, but my priority is to be healthy for the 5k race next weekend. The week after that will probably be all easy running leading up to the Cherry Blossom 10-miler, after which I'll switch from repetition workouts (mostly 400's at around 30/sec. faster than 5k race pace) to VO2 max intervals (mostly 1200's at 5k race pace) and more tempo runs. A few weeks of that should prepare me for a fast 10k at the end of April, if I manage to avoid getting injured.

No comments:

Post a Comment