Monday, April 8, 2013

WEEKLY SUMMARY (March 31- April 7): 45 miles (78% E and 22% T paces plus 6 strides)
  Sunday: off
  Monday: 5 miles at 7:19/mi.
  Tuesday: 8 miles at 7:10/mi.
  Wednesday: 6 miles at 7:17/mi.
  Thursday: 8.4 miles at 7:04/mi. incorporating 6 strides
  Friday: off
  Saturday: 5.6 miles at 7:35/mi.
  Sunday: 2 E, then 10 mile race in 1:03:01 (see race report below)

You'll notice that this week has eight days in it. I wanted to return to a calendar with weeks beginning on Mondays and ending on Sundays, and this seemed like a good week to make the switch. By my old Sunday-to-Saturday reckoning, I ran only 33 miles this past week. But adding Sunday bumps it up artificially to 45 miles for these eight days. I had a migraine on the first Sunday, March 31. That's partly why I wasn't up to doing the track workout that I had planned for Tuesday. It was also a high pollen day and the first day in 2013 that I ran with my allergy mask on. I wouldn't have wanted to wear that thing for a track workout. On Friday I was just too busy to fit in a run. So the only speed I incorporated this week before the Cherry Blossom race was on Thursday, when I basically did a light fartlek run. I ran my usual easy pace but in each mile, except for the first and last, I did a short stride without stopping. That wasn't my original plan. I had just planned on doing a few strides after an easy run, but I ended up doing this because I didn't feel like stopping. I may start doing strides or hill sprints more regularly. At any rate I'd like to. Next week, since I'm pretty wiped out from the Cherry Blossom race, I'll concentrate on recovery at least initially. I'd like to run at least 50 miles (over seven days) and just keep things slow toward the beginning of the week. My only run faster than easy pace will be a track workout next weekend, which will be like the one I had planned for this past Tuesday: 5-6 x 1k hopefully at 5:50/mi. pace or faster. My next race is a 10k in two weeks on a fast course, and at this point I'm thinking of aiming for 36:30, which is 5:52/mi. We'll see how the track workout goes next weekend, though. My current 10k PR is 37:48 from the same race (Pike's Peek) last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment