Saturday, June 16, 2012

Week of June 10-16: 60 miles (93% at E/L, and 7% at T paces)
  Sunday: 5 mile family jog pushing a stroller at my wife's pace
  Monday: 8.5 miles at 7:38/mi. plus 2 hill sprints
  Tuesday: 8.5 miles at 7:34/mi.
  Wednesday: 3E, 4x1T at 6:23/mi. (1 min. rest), 2E
  Thursday: 8.5 miles at 7:39/mi. plus 2 hill sprints
  Friday: 15 miles at 7:35/mi.
  Saturday: 5.5 miles at 8:11/mi.

This week went well and according to plan. It was hot the first half of the week, and I needed to recover anyway from the 10k race last Saturday. So I did a slow family jog on Sunday and kept it easy the next two days as well. On Wednesday I got in some solid tempo intervals with short rests, or cruise intervals in Daniels-speak, at something close to my actual tempo pace. They felt good but hard, and I was having difficulty imagining how I'm going to do workouts like this in a few weeks that are twice as long. Happily I found a new track that is open to the public, or at least was that day, around 2 miles from where I live, which is perfect for a warm up and cool down. If it turns out to be closed in the future, apparently there's an entirely public track that's open 24 hours just a few blocks further that I can use as back-up. So I won't have to waste any more time getting kicked off, locked out of, or locked in (!) the track at the university where I work and next door to where I live. The weather turned quite nice for the latter part of this week, and that helped my long run on Friday. It had been 3 weeks since my last longish run of 14 miles, but I still felt strong and ran negative splits: 7:40's for the first half, 7:30's for the third quarter, around 7:20 for miles 12-14, and the last mile around 7:00 until I decided to relax for the last fifth or so. After that I was tired and did only a slow recovery run today, which is sometimes necessary without days off. Because of the nice weather, I decided to run a 4-mile race tomorrow, since this may be my last chance for a long time to run a race, let alone a short one, in non-oppressive weather. I don't expect to run particularly fast but will simply use the race in place of an interval workout. Since it's supposed to heat up again around mid-week, if possible I may try to get in another tempo run on Tuesday this coming week and then wait until the heat subsides somewhat before hazarding another long run. In any case, I'll try continuing to move the mileage up to 65 next week and also continue two other small but important things that I started doing this week: hill sprints and supplementary strength exercises. I got the idea of hill sprints - 8-10 second all-out sprints up a steep hill with full recoveries - from Brad Hudson's book, and in the past they've helped me become less injury-prone. Now I've got a weak glute/upper hamstring area on one side that has given me trouble for some time. I've read stuff on the internet about high hamstring tendonitis and the hilariously named dead butt syndrome that describes many of my symptoms. Since it's not bad enough to keep me from running, some good old strength training is probably the best medicine. So I'm returning to a form of targeted strength training that has worked for me in the past, hill sprints, and also adding some basic "core" exercises (as people say these days) that I've rarely done before. In the next few weeks I'll try to establish a pattern that has me doing hill sprints twice a week on easy days and supplementary exercises maybe three times. This is the time to establish such a pattern, before my mileage gets bigger and the workouts harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment