Saturday, June 9, 2012

Week of June 3-9: 50 miles (80% at E, 8% at T, and 12% at 10k paces)
  Sunday: 8.5 miles at 7:35/mi.
  Monday: 8.5 miles at 7:31/mi.
  Tuesday: 2E, 2T, 1E, 2T, 2E (T=6:35)
  Wednesday: 8.5 miles at 7:39/mi.
  Thursday: 5 miles at 7:41/mi.
  Friday: off
  Saturday: Lawyers Have Heart 10k in 38:49

Running some more miles again this week felt good, but the 10k race at the end of it wasn't so good. I had been wondering whether I'm in a funk. But then I looked back over my training log for the past few months and realized that I've simply tried to extend my shorter-distance racing season for too long. My best races this year (not counting the 5k in early January, which really belonged to the previous year) were the Cherry Blossom 10-miler and Pike's Peek 10k, which came 7 and 10 weeks after I started doing speedwork again in late February. Shortly after that I ran an ok 5k, at 12 weeks out, but even then my speed was beginning to fizzle. Today's race wasn't a disaster, but it was a minute slower than my Pike's Peek time, and the course wasn't especially slow (as illustrated by my friend Patrick, who ran a PR by nearly 2 minutes). From the beginning it was clear that I wasn't going to run a fast time, but I stuck it out and ran as hard as I could. In the future I should start speedwork a bit later and plan my target races within the next 12 weeks. For now my focus is shifting toward marathon training anyway. Since I can't run very fast right now, I'll run more instead. Let's see whether I can get in 60 miles this coming week, and no more planned days off. I'll continue getting some speed in about once a week in order not to lose what little speed I have left (though not this coming week). But, as I mentioned in a previous post, my focus in the near term will be primarily on gradually increasing volume, and also on tempo runs that gradually become more difficult. This week's tempo on Tuesday was a slow and short version of the sort of thing Daniels has in store for me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment