Sunday, December 2, 2012


WEEKLY SUMMARY (Nov. 25 - Dec. 1): 40 miles (97.5% E and 2.5% R paces)
  Sunday: 7 miles at 7:26/mi.
  Monday: 2.5 E, 4 x (400R at 79 + 400E), 2.5 E (7 miles total)
  Tuesday: 7 miles at 7:22/mi.
  Wednesday: 7 miles at 7:21/mi.
  Thursday: off
  Friday: 8 miles at 7:16/mi.
  Saturday: 4 miles at 7:33/mi.

Life prevented me from achieving my main goal for this week of not taking any days off. On Thursday, there was nothing wrong with me physically, but I just couldn't fit in a run and unfortunately had a tempo run planned for that day. With a race the following Sunday, and remembering the hole I recently dug myself into by doing workouts too frequently, I decided to skip the tempo run altogether instead of doing it on Friday. Then I did only a short and slower run on Saturday, because I couldn't manage to run until afternoon and had a race the next morning. So for the second week in a row I've now run what I consider the bare minimum weekly mileage (barring injury or, perhaps, marathon recovery). On the positive side, I think I'm getting a lot more out of the miles I do run lately in comparison with before the MCM when I was running as much as twice this volume. My easy runs feel great in this new, faster pace range, and with two days of them in a row I seem able to recover well enough between workouts - at least while my mileage remains low. Monday's repetition workout also felt good. Well, it felt hard and my form was abysmal. But it felt very productive and left me feeling better rather than worn out the next day. A 79 second 400m is 5:18-19/mi. pace, and I took full recoveries (i.e., stood around and stretched for a minute or so) instead of going straight from the recovery lap to the next interval. My bad running form would benefit significantly from doing this workout more often (building up gradually to doing more repetitions). Next week, my main goal is again to avoid taking any days off and to get in around 50 miles. Exactly what runs I do on which days depends on how I recover from Sunday's race, and I'll be careful not to try fitting in too much because I also have a race the following Sunday. One possibility that I'm leaning toward is to do a medium-long run on Wednesday and to do regular easy runs on all the remaining days. Another possibility is to try to fit in another repetition workout mid-week instead, but that may be too much faster running right now with a race on two weekends in a row. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment