Sunday, January 27, 2013

WEEKLY SUMMARY (January 20-26): 16 miles (100% easy)
  Sunday: off
  Monday: off
  Tuesday: 6 miles at 7:19/mi. on a treadmill
  Wednesday: off
  Thursday: off
  Friday: 5 miles at 7:26/mi.
  Saturday: 5 miles at 7:30/mi.

I was feeling pretty confident when I wrote my previous post just after last Saturday's 18-miler. Things seemed to be going so well that I wondered what was going on. As the Stranger from California warned me several months ago: when things seem to be going really well, especially when they seem to be going too well, you might be right on the edge of falling apart. Indeed. The hip problem that nagged me last Saturday sidelined me this week, and it's too early to tell how far back it has set me. It seems to be a cluster of problems rather than a single injury, all centered around my right hip area. Hip flexors, glutes (especially medius), lower abdominal muscles (especially obliques), and maybe my upper IT band are implicated. When I first noticed a slight pain in that area around two weeks ago, it was on the outside of my hip near the top of my IT band. So maybe that's the source of the problem, or maybe not. I've had lower back problems for a long time, and hip issues are often related to back issues. But I don't know exactly what's up, and I'll try to get an appointment with a sports doctor soon. But I don't need to know exactly what's up in order to do what I've always done with injuries: rest if and only if the pain crosses the line beyond which running could make matters worse. I was clearly over that line on Sunday, the day after the 18-miler; and possibly on Monday, which I took off in any case because I just wanted the problem to go away. On Tuesday it felt better but not completely healed, so I ran on the treadmill in order to assess things while avoiding the stress of running on asphalt. My hip tightened up some as the run progressed, but it was no big deal. But afterwards and for the next couple of days it was worse. When I ran again on Friday (outside this time), it didn't feel much different while I was running than it did on the treadmill a few days earlier. Afterwards it felt worse again, but less so than before. So I hazarded running again the next day (Saturday) and felt marginally less bad afterwards. By then I was feeling pretty heavy (I've gained a few pounds this week) and out of shape from all those days off and from doing so little even on the days I did run. But my body still doesn't feel like it wants me to do any more. Today (Sunday) I skipped the half-marathon that I had registered for and went to the gym intending to cross train on the bike. But I ended up running 6 miles on the treadmill instead, stretching carefully both beforehand and afterwards. Cross training just isn't my thing. I'll do it if I have to, but I guess I haven't been driven quite that far yet. It has been a depressing week, though. Last year at this exact time I had a hamstring injury and skipped the same half-marathon that I skipped today. In fact, the race organizers were kind enough to defer my registration from last year to this year, but again I didn't show up. Maybe next year I won't sign up for any races in late January, or at least not that one. Next week I have no plan except to take things one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment