Saturday, March 23, 2013

WEEKLY SUMMARY (March 17-23): 50 miles (95% easy and 5% interval paces)
  Sunday: 7 miles at 7:16/mi.
  Monday: 7 miles at 7:15/mi.
  Tuesday: off
  Wednesday: 7 miles at 7:32/mi.
  Thursday: 13 miles at 7:18/mi.
  Friday: 7 miles at 7:17/mi.
  Saturday: 3 E, 3 x 1200m I averaging 4:27-8 (800m E), 2 E (9 miles total)

I'm happy to have managed 50 miles this week. The plan was to run easy until returning to the track on Saturday, and that's what I did. But I should have run extra easy on Sunday and/or Monday. I didn't do that because I figured the half marathon last Saturday didn't make much out of me, and I felt fine on Sunday's and Monday's easy runs. But after running, especially on Monday, my muscles were too tight. So I took Tuesday off and did the slower run on Wednesday that I should have done several days earlier. That did the trick of loosening things up and I felt strong on Thursday's medium-long run. Several times this week my hip reminded me that it's not entirely back to normal yet, but it was never a real problem. The weather is unseasonably cold and I wonder how much that affects it, especially when I run at dawn. Saturday's intervals were disappointingly slow - about 5:58/mi. pace, which is even slower than the last time I made it to the track two and a half weeks ago, when I did 2 x 1200m. But I think it was just an off day for me. I gave what I had and got through three intervals. In a little over a week I'll do that workout again but with four intervals, and hopefully it'll be a bit faster. I don't really need to train at a faster pace for the 10-miler in two weeks, but I'm also thinking about the 10k two weeks after that. Next week I plan to run 50-55 miles. The only workout will be a tempo run midweek that I'll try to make a bit longer than the previous one but at the same 6:15-ish pace, which is roughly the pace I'm thinking of trying to run in the Cherry Blossom 10-miler (to finish under 63 minutes). I'm happy to report that, although it's now late March, my allergies are still not bad at all. The irresistible coughing that prevented me from sleeping for weeks on end last year has not returned - at least not yet. Tree pollen was high for a couple days, and I noticed it, but it didn't last long enough to have a significant, cumulative effect. My hope is that when the weather does finally start acting like Spring it'll be too late for another really bad allergy season to get going. But I probably won't be able to avoid running with the allergy mask at some point soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment