Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Turin training weeks 4-5: transition to Rome

Daily details:
Mo: 4
Tu: 5
We: off (traveling to Rome)
Th: off (still traveling)
Fr: off (bags missing)
Sa: off (bags still missing)
Su: 4 (bought running shoes and shorts in Rome)
Mo: 6
Tu: 6 plus 6 strides
9 day total: 25

We: 8
Th: fartlek with (5, 4, 3), (4, 3, 2), (3, 2, 1) min. at 10k pace with equal recoveries
Fr: 8 (my bag finally arrived)
Sa: 11
Su: 6 plus 6 strides
Mo: 6
Tu: 16 mile progression run with last 4 miles under 6:50 and mile 16 in 6:36
Week total: 65

The week I travelled to Rome was supposed to be a recovery week, but as it happened I had more opportunity to recover from running than planned. First, our flight from Washington was delayed because of weather and we missed our connecting flight in Toronto. We were immediately rerouted through Munich, where we had a six hour layover. So we finally arrived in Rome around 24 hours after our trip began, a much longer trip than expected. Then, we found that only one of our three checked bags had arrived in Rome. Luckily, my three year old son's things were all in that bag. We filed a missing baggage claim and expected our remaining bags to show up at our apartment soon, but it was another four days before my wife's bag arrived and eight days before mine arrived (after I had gone back to the airport three times to search for them). Wearing the same clothes for days on end wasn't pleasant, but for me not being able to run was worse. After a few days I broke down and spent 150 euros on running shoes and shorts at a Nike store that I happened to pass by. Running shoes (no matter where they're made) are way more expensive here than in the US. It took me several days to ease back into running after four days off and a generally rough transition to Rome. My schedule here is such that it makes sense to do my most important training run of each week, long runs, on Tuesdays instead of the standard Sundays, as I had been doing. To accommodate this, my coach shifted my schedule forward a couple days, so beginning now my training weeks start on Wednesdays and end on Tuesdays. This past "week," so understood, I picked up where I had left off in terms of mileage before leaving the US, but it took until the end of the week for me to be able to bring the intensity back to where it had been. Thursday's fartlek was on the slow side but helped get me back on track. Tuesday's progression run, on the other hand, went quite well. Since arriving in Rome I've done all my runs on an asphalt path that runs along the Tiber river, which I pick up just a few blocks from my apartment near the Vatican. The roads and sidewalks in the city are nearly impossible to run on, so I'm very grateful for this path, but each time I run further on it I wonder when I'll reach the end of it. On Tuesday I was happy to discover that the path goes at least 8 miles (in the direction of the airport and the coast) and gets better and better the further out I go. In the center of the city there are bar and restaurant tents set up beside the path for evening entertainment (they are all closed up in the morning when I usually run). Then the path runs briefly away from the river through a more residential area, before cutting back over to the river out in the suburbs. It's fairly well shaded by trees much of the way, and there are springs every now and then beside the path where one can get (good) water. I don't think there's a better paved running trail in the DC area. The weather here is better too. It is late summer, so of course it's warm and humid. But it's neither as warm nor, especially, as humid as DC. The weather here is also more consistent, at least so far. So after a longish period of adjustment I'm back on track and doing pretty well running in Rome.

No comments:

Post a Comment