Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Turin training weeks 6-7: sinister set-backs

Daily details:
We: 7
Th: off (sore left quad)
Fr: 12
Sa: 7
Su: 12 x 1k with 2 min. rest averaging 6:23/mi.
Mo: 7
Tu: 18 steady
Week total: 62

We: 5
Th: fartlek with 3 x (3, 2, 1 min.) at 10k effort with equal recoveries
Fr: off (sprained left ankle)
Sa: off (sprained left ankle)
Su: 5
Mo: 7
Tu: 10
Week total: 35

Over these two weeks I suffered a series of minor set-backs and annoyances, each of which (by chance?) afflicted something on the left side of my body. During the first week it was a sore left quad, which only forced me to take one day off but bugged me the entire week. It first irritated me near the end of the previous week in precisely the spot that was most sore after Grandma's marathon in June. That turned out to be a pretty good week, though, since I still got in a fair number of miles, a good long workout, and a steady 18-miler. I couldn't believe it when I first saw 12 x 1k on my training schedule, since that's twice as many 1k intervals as I've done before. But it actually didn't turn out to be so difficult, because the rest was generous and the pace wasn't too hard (even though I ended up averaging a bit faster than my target pace). On Thursday of the second week I enjoyed flying through a shorter, faster fartlek than I had been doing. That very fartlek defeated me when I started doing fartleks in July (in DC humidity), but now I'm able to do it much faster without feeling especially worn out afterwards. However, during my cool down jog after the fartlek, I rolled my left ankle pretty badly. I'm not sure how I was able to run sub-6 minute pace just fine during the workout but then lost my footing while running over 8-minute pace during my cool down. To make matters worse, I then had to hobble about a mile to get home. My ankle swelled up moderately and I wasn't even able to walk normally for a day and a half or so. The swelling started to go down, and some discoloration appeared at the bottom of my foot, at the end of the second day after I rolled it. Just as my ankle was beginning to recover, the most bizarre of this series of annoyances occurred. My son had recently begun attending a new school here in Rome, so of course he was developing a cold and brought germs home with him. Somehow my ears got clogged up in conjunction with the bug that I presumably picked up from him. I was almost totally deaf in my left ear for around 48 hours, and my right ear was muffled too. It was surreal feeling stuck in my own head, hobbling around on a sprained ankle, imagining that I looked (as I felt) like a character in a zombie film. Things seem to be improving now, and I'm not sure what more could possibly afflict at least the left side of my body. It would almost be a relief to injure something on my right side. Better, though, would be to remain injury free for a while now and get back on track with a full mileage week this coming week. Turin is two months away.

No comments:

Post a Comment