Sunday, May 6, 2012

Week of April 30-May 6: 41 miles in 5 runs
  Monday: 4.2 miles pushing a stroller at 8:18/mi.
  Tuesday: off
  Wednesday: 9 miles at 7:34/mi.
  Thursday: off
  Friday: 10.7 miles at 7:42/mi.
  Saturday: 8.2 miles at 7:40/mi.
  Sunday: 3 easy; 2 x 2miles @ 6:20 (2 min. rest); 2 easy

I took another lower mileage week to recover from Pike's Peek last weekend and to avoid my mistake after the Cherry Blossom race. On Monday I was more tired than I expected to be after a 10k race. For the first time, I stopped and walked while on a stroller run. My son was awake and decided that meant it was time to get out and play. So that was pretty much the end of my run, which didn't really bother me. In general, it takes me a long time to recover from races these days, either because of age (I'm 37 and don't buy this excuse), or because I'm pushing too hard in some way and need to back off,  or because I'm not in good enough shape to race as often as I am, or some combination of these. Building back up to strength after recovering from the 10k-10 mile races I've done recently has been taking me about three weeks, and it's not an especially pleasant process. I hope and expect that the 5k races I have coming up won't require so much recovery, because I'm getting tired of these repeated, short build-ups followed by a race and recovery week, followed by another short build-up, etc. I'm looking forward to switching to marathon-training mode and not racing for a while during the summer. But I guess it's natural to get a little sick of things when you're near but not quite at the end of a training cycle. My target races are approaching and I'm on track for my final tune-up in two weeks. Today's tempo run was fine and I should be ready to hit the track mid-week and again either next weekend or early the following week for some 1200's at sub-18 minute 5k pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment