Saturday, May 26, 2012

Week of May 20-26: 45 miles
  Sunday: 13 miles at 7:42/mi.
  Monday: off
  Tuesday: 9 miles at 7:30/mi.
  Wednesday: workout (see below)
  Thursday: off
  Friday: off
  Saturday: 14 miles at 7:42/mi.

This was a strange running week. I eventually wised up about doing another 5k this weekend, especially once I saw the weather forecast of a heat wave. Luckily, I was able to defer my registration to another race. Wednesday's workout involved some 200's and 400's in the high 5:20's (mile pace), and then two one-mile tempo intervals at 6:15 with two minutes rest in between. So it wasn't that strenuous. The short, fast intervals are intended to get my legs race-ready, but afterwards I felt especially tight and my right achilles (the site of a 20-year-old skiing injury) hurt in a worrisome way. So I ended up taking two days off in order to get some rest into my legs while there is still some time before my upcoming goal races. I'm also looking ahead to marathon training, which is why I did another longish run on Sunday. It seems like now is the time to rest up and train lightly both in order to run as well as possible in my upcoming races and so that I'm ready to start marathon training shortly afterwards without having to take a longer break. I'll do another light speed workout around Tuesday (depending on how long this heat wave lasts), which hopefully will leave my legs feeling peppier than the last one did.

This week I'm beginning to count Sunday as the first day of the week for running purposes. I usually do two harder workouts each week, and it seems convenient to do the most important one on the first day of the week and then plan the rest of the week around that, which is easier to do when the first day of the week is Sunday. We'll see how that goes anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment