Sunday, May 13, 2012

Week of May 7-13: 50 miles
  Monday: 8.5 miles at 7:26/mi.
  Tuesday: off
  Wednesday: 4 x 3/4miles at 5:50/mi. avg. pace (1/2mile recoveries)
  Thursday: 8.5 miles at 7:34/mi.
  Friday: 10.8 miles at 7:32/mi.
  Saturday: 3.2 miles at 7:47/mi.
  Sunday: 4 x 3/4miles at 5:45/mi. avg. pace (1/2mile recoveries)

This week turned out ok as far as running goes, in spite of being the last week of the Spring semester where I teach. Grades were due on Tuesday and graduation was Saturday. Typically the accumulated stress of the academic year causes my body to malfunction in some way during this week. But this time around the only significant rebellion occurred on Saturday, when some sort of stomach thing cut short my run but gave me a nice morning walk in exchange. I would have been back up at 55 miles this week were it not for that little mishap. My two faster workouts were identical interval runs at or near the pace I'll need to run next Saturday for a sub-18 minute 5k. Neither was run on the track because, although I live literally next door to it, they do not post hours when it is available for use to people not on university athletic teams, so it is totally unpredictable when one will be turned away or kicked off the track. I was kicked off for the n-th time on Wednesday morning, and for the n-th time I complained and received either a hostile response or none at all (in this case, both from different people). Anyway, so I ran Wednesday's workout on a nearby trail with some slight hills and sharp turns, which was far from ideal. On Sunday I drove to a park with a flat and basically straight three-mile loop, where I often do tempo runs. My wife ran with our son in the stroller as I did my intervals. So that workout went better. I'm sure I can handle a 5:45 pace next weekend at least initially. Whether I can hold it for 5k is another matter. I skipped a tempo run this week in order to focus on getting used to that pace. Depending on how I recover from today's run, I may do some sort of tempo run on Tuesday this coming week. But I'll be sure not to neglect tempos after next week and will probably start doing at least some workouts that involve both 5k and tempo pace running.

No comments:

Post a Comment