Sunday, May 20, 2012

Week of May 14-20: 55 miles
  Monday: 8.6 miles at 7:35/mi.
  Tuesday: 4 mile tempo at 6:36/mi., and 5 miles easy
  Wednesday: 9 miles at 7:24/mi.
  Thursday: off
  Friday: 7.1 miles at 7:33/mi.
  Saturday: BKB 5k in 18:27
  Sunday: 13 miles at 7:42/mi.

I finally got back up to 55 miles this week and on Sunday got in a slightly longer run than I've been doing lately. My tempo run on Tuesday was light because I wanted to save my strength for the race on Saturday, and because the weather was extremely muggy that morning just after a stormy spell. The race itself was a disappointment, though not a disaster. I woke up the morning of the race with a considerable headache that later revealed itself to be associated with some sort of knot in my neck muscles on one side (perhaps from carrying my 26 pound son around). Maybe that was the problem, or maybe I just underestimated my 5k ability right now. My mile paces were 5:46.5, 5:57, and 6:01. It seemed harder to run my goal pace in the first mile than it had been in workouts, and I fell off it considerably after the first mile but managed to hold onto a reasonably fast pace nonetheless. My overall time is roughly equal to my 5k PR, but that's from January and I can run faster workouts now than I could then. So I think I just wasn't "on" for some reason on Saturday.

Updated: I've decided to run another 5k next weekend at the Alexandria Running Festival, where I'll try again to run 5:45's and to finish under 18 minutes. I'll scale back my mileage a bit to the mid-40's next week as well. Maybe I'll just keep the mileage lower and the workouts lighter for the next few weeks to focus on races - until the 10k on June 9, which is my main goal race this Spring. After that I'll need time to recover and should start transitioning to marathon-training mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment